Becoming a member of the Ontario Federation of Teaching Parents (OFTP) is a good thing for you AND for the rights of all homeschooling families in Ontario!
When you join the OFTP, your membership enables a collective voice for the homeschooling community in Ontario, and provides support for the work OFTP does protecting the rights of all homeschooling families across the province.
- adds to our numbers, which increases our clout to have an impact;
- adds any time and skills you're willing to contribute to volunteering, which helps keep the organization running smoothly and provides needed person-power for any projects we'd like to undertake.
Your membership fees pay for...
- the cost of long distance phone calls answering hotline enquiries;
- the cost of phone calls and letters to government officials, school boards, Children's Aid Societies, etc.;
- the printing and mailing of advocacy letters and documents;
- the funding of our Diversity in Education conferences;
- any other projects we'd like to take on to help protect the right to homeschool and educate people about homeschooling so it becomes properly accepted by mainstream society, without prejudice, as a viable educational option.
What are the personal benefits to you?
As an OFTP member, you get lots of personal benefits as well:
- our newsletter, Home Rules;
- access to the Members-Only parts of the website:
- newsletter archives,
- educational suppliers’ discount offers,
- and anything else we may at times share with each other online;
- Free advertising on the OFTP website for your product or service business, even if it doesn't relate to homeschooling. This is a way of sharing information about some of the "work for income" some of our members do, often employment from home which allows the family to home educate their children.
- OFTP Conference Discounts
- Access to OFTP email lists to network and gain further support, information, and resources — also available in French!
- A membership card which can be used to obtain discounts from educational suppliers and other businesses and organizations. Here is a list of some of our current discounts -- details are in the Members-Only section:
- drawing lessons with Jane Freeman
- Darwin the Dragon Reading Program
- toy stores on Cumberland (Toronto)
- Bongo World educational toys
- Canadian Automobile Association
- Chapters - Indigo - Coles
- EcoParent magazine
- The Learning Tree educational store in Burlington
- Medieval Times dinner show
- Michael's craft store
- Owlkids magazines: Chirp, chickaDEE, Owl
- Scholastic books
- Ontario Science Centre was a limited time offer (May 2008) - mentioned to illustrate the kinds of offers that can sometimes be included off and on
- Access to advice and liaison support in dealing with legal issues, schools, school boards and various government departments
- For both you and your children, the opportunity to be published in the newsletter — whether to express yourself and contribute to the community, or for the thrill of being published, or to add it to a resume.
OFTP is a member of the Ontario Federation of Independent Schools (OFIS).
We hope that you can join us to support the valuable work of the Ontario Federation of Teaching Parents.