By joining the Ontario Federation of Teaching Parents, you enable a collective voice for the homeschooling community in Ontario, and provide support for the work OFTP does on behalf of homeschooling families across the province.
Membership can benefit you individually as well — and your children too! Here's what you receive with membership:
- Monthly members-only e-newsletter, with articles and announcements.
- In the past, our newsletter was called "Home Rules" and published on a bi-monthly basis, first in print and later in PDF format. Back issues are still available to members, and our blog has reprints of some of the past articles to give a sampling to the public at large.
- Free advertising on the OFTP website for your product or service business. This is a way of sharing information about some of the "work for income" some of our members do, often employment from home which allows the family to home educate their children.
- Access to the OFTP forums to network and gain further information, tips, resource referrals, and moral support from fellow members (especially helpful if you're not able to be part of a local support group) -- also available in French
- Access to private, confidential support from our email and phone enquiry volunteers when you'd rather not share on the forums or you'd rather speak with someone on the phone.
- Access to advice and assistance from our liaison volunteer in dealing with legal issues, schools, school boards and various government departments.
- For both you and your children, the opportunity to be published in the blog and newsletter -- for the thrill of being published, the experience of participating in a joint project, and/or something to add to your/their resume (e.g. published articles, essays, stories, poems, or artwork)
- The opportunity for other additions to your resume (or your children's) through volunteer work contributions.
- A membership card which can be used to obtain discounts from educational suppliers and other businesses and organizations.
We hope you can join us to support the valuable work of the OFTP!